I’m turning 21. What have I done with the first 21 years of my life? I’ve tried to follow the Lord faithfully, but so often I fail. I’m going on GlobeTREK. It’s a long overseas missions trip, which will challenge me in ways I don’t even realize yet. How am I preparing myself? Jonathan Edwards wrote some Resolutions. I’d encourage you to read them; they’re powerful words from a very godly man.
These are some of my resolutions. I don’t write these to show how spiritual or godly I am. In fact, they pinpoint weaknesses. I share them in the hope that they will challenge and encourage you as well!
- May this coming school year be a year I can look back on and say, THAT is when I really grew in my understanding of my Heavenly Father’s care for me.
- When I was able to see more clearly the depth of mt sin, and the overwhelming, undeserved grace of my Saviour.
- When I grew so powerfully in my prayer life.
- When I could see with faith the answer to my prayers, and continue to think about the Lord throughout the day.
- When the Spirit finally worked and produced in me a mind pure of impure and malicious thoughts.
- When I truly was able to serve others not expecting anything in return.
- When I built deep relationships which were Christ-saturated.
- When I understood His character more fully.
- When I saw so much of the world’s pain during GlobeTREK, but also understood His care and provision for this dying world through the Messiah.
- When I was able to leave behind so many things which hindered my walk with God.
- When I had problems and struggles, and yet saw God’s hand of encouragement and provision though the trials, and grew stronger because of it.
- When I was able to live in the moment and invest into the people around me; not constantly longing for what I had in the past, or worrying about the future.
- When I learned to rest in unshakable peace, knowing that He works all things for good.
- When the Spirit taught me to “cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for [me].” 1 Peter 5:7
- When I was able to overcome my fear of what people think of me, and speak boldly about my precious Jesus.
These are my prayers for GlobeTREK. I can’t do this on my own. Neither can you. But that’s the beautiful simplicity of the gospel. Jesus understands our human limitations because He became human. And He understands God’s requirement for holiness because He is also God! Jesus died on the cross-not because He had any sin of His own. He chose to take my sin and yours so that we can avoid the deserved punishment of hell. I know that my sin is forgiven, and I will one day be brought home to my Father in Heaven. Until that day I will work, with His help, to obey Him faithfully and tell people around me about Him. May this be our heart cry and prayer every moment of every day!
“Keep steady my steps according to Your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me.” ~Psalm 119:113
In His grip, Naomi